Tuesday, August 13, 2013

My Eating Job

DSC_9453
Working as a food tour guide, I have so many chances to meet different people from different nationalities everyday which makes me feel like I'm traveling around different parts of the world daily and also learning so much from my clients.
DSC_9699
It's so hard to nominate my favorite clients or my favourite nationality because most of the people who make a booking with Hanoi Street Food Tours are food lovers so we have an instant connection. It's like we speak the language of food. I would never say that I teach my clients about food but I do show them what is special from the city I love, Hanoi, even though I'm not from here. I suppose I'm the one who helps them to understand more about Hanoi food. I enjoy working everyday and I'm pretty much always excited about going to work.
Bun Ca
Many people think it is a very easy and relaxing job where I simply eat, drink and talk to earn some money. But from my experience, you need to have a genuine love for people and food, plus a determination to keep every tour upbeat and special for every client. The tours are not only about eating around Hanoi, but also is about the culture around the food. In Vietnam, we love to eat but we eat in a very healthy way! My clients regularly ask me "Why are Vietnamese people so skinny because it looks like they eat and drink all the time?" The answer is that we eat healthy food with lots of herbs and veggies. We are also meat lovers but we always balance meat with steamed or sir fried veggies and pickle fruits. And another very important factor is we do heaps of exercise everyday.
DSC_2627
For my job I frequently work 3 to 6 hours a day, 7 days per week and sometimes, I have to walk around the city eating for 9 hours a day. For exercise, I do a bit of running around the tennis court trying to use up the calories and maintain my weight. At the end of the day, I have to admit that I love eating and I would never complain about hard work. I am a very lucky guy to be able to work in my desired field compared to million of people around the world without jobs or un happy with their jobs. I try to live by the saying "Work Hard, Play Harder".

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it sounds like a pretty cool job, but i agree, you need someone that truly loves food and all the eccentricities of hanoian food culture. :)

Gerlie Uy said...

Very entertaining article. And also such a unique job: to eat.. Lol... And ues, u do look slim and fit... And i must venture to say, you must walk like all vietnamese to.....Very fast......

Van Cong Tu said...

Hi guys, indeed. I love my job very much :)

Kitchen_Designer said...

Where would one sign up for me of your tours? My family and I will be in Hanoi next week!

Kitchen_Designer said...

One of. . .

Model Jas Kerja Wanita 2015 said...

This is a really good post. Must admit that you are amongst the best bloggers I have read. Thanks for posting this informative article